Thursday, February 15, 2007

B.A.D. Strikes Again

This Christmas I got to spend a lovely, lovely day (and a night) with my buddy B.A.D. We shopped and ate and snarked our way through the too-short 24 hours. She is a lovely and crazy stylish and is one of the only people who tells me the unvarnished truth about whether or not this shirt makes my stomach look weird. (Our Hero can also be trusted for honesty, but his knowledge of what is stylish is more than questionable. A will also give it to me straight.) Anyway, I miss her lots. And she is in BigCity. And I am in MyTown. Sigh. Why are you all so far from me?


So anyway, B.A.D. got me this great cookbook for Christmas, since she works on farm policy issues and knows, like, everything there is to know about stuff like organic farming and CSAs and where to get goat's milk soap and whatnot. Recently I made this from the cookbook, which turned out deliciously. Maybe it's the weather (which was an impossible -1 degree when I left the house this morning), but hunching over a warm bowl of something thick and creamy keeps sounding just right to me.

This recipe has the utilitarian name "Spinach-Feta-Brown Rice Bowl." Aaaaand that's just what it is. I used short-grain brown rice, which gives this a creamier, more risotto-like texture (but without all the stirring). I also highly recommend trading your chalky "traditional" feta cheese for tangy, creamy Israeli feta, especially when it's a feature in a dish, like in this one.

Spinach-Feta-Brown Rice Bowl
2 T. olive oil, divided
1 cup short-grain brown rice
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 large bunch spinach or other fresh greens, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
1 large handful or bunch of fresh dill, finely chopped
2-4 oz. Israeli or other sheep's milk feta cheese, crumbled

Heat 1 T. olive oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add rice and cook, stirring, until all grains are coated with oil, about 1 minute. Add 2 1/8 cups water, bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook 45-50 minutes, until tender.

About 25 minutes into the rice cooking time, heat the other tablespoon of oil over medium heat in a dutch oven or large skillet. Saute onion in oil until translucent. Add spinach and cook just until wilted. Season with a little salt and pepper. Stir in dill and remove from heat. Add rice mixture to spinach mixture, stir in feta until combined. Serve and enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here I insert the predictable: what was Israeli feta before 1948? -Andrea